TOXINS ARE EVERYWHERE (by Pauline Larsen)

6141006_f520
(kristenhaynie.hubpages.com)

Here a toxin…there a toxin…everywhere a toxin…or two…or more!  We are continually  bombarded by toxins even in our home  environment, and  children and pets  are intensely curious, interested in exploring, discovering, and learning about their world.   That  natural curiosity can get them into trouble.  Dogs (and sometimes young children)  use their mouths in place of hands, and so they pick up, chew, and end up exposing themselves to numerous toxins in and around the home.

The kitchen with its tantalizing tastes and smells is a favorite gathering place for humans, and usually the home of a dog’s food bowl.  This room usually contains large quantities of household  maintenance  and cleaning chemicals, often in lower cabinets.  Many dogs easily learn to open cabinets, and, intrigued by new scents,  are likely to lap of a lethal dose of chemical cleaner or snack on a dirty sponge or scouring pad.   The solution? Childproof locks on the cabinets.   These locks are easy for an adult to open, and quickly become automatic, but are almost impossible for a child or pet to manage.  A second solution is  reconsider your housecleaning strategies, and rather than use caustic and poisonous  chemicals,  choose natural or “green” cleaners that are safer and more ecologically sound than traditional cleaners.

trash_can2
(myplasticfreelife.com)

The kitchen garbage pail is full of potential  dangers.  Even a cover cannot deter a clever canine.  The greasy mess of wrappers and gnawed bones  are unhealthy, but the molds, bacteria, and toxins are more hazardous.  “People tend to underestimate the problems that eating garbage can cause,” emphasizes New Hampshire vet,  Dr Charles DeVinne.  “Such common throwaways, such as apple cores (and seeds), potato skins, and moldy cheese can make dogs sick, with symptoms ranging from obvious pain to diarrhea and vomiting, accompanied by lethargy, depression, or seizures.  All of these symptoms require veterinary care.”

Other  dangers lurk  throughout your house.  Dogs who eat even one penny minted after 1983 or metal game tokens like Monopoly pieces risk zinc toxicity.  Small, sharp parts of toys can also cause internal blockages or even serious intestinal punctures.  The range of items removed from the stomachs of dogs include panty hose, superballs, feminine hygiene products, and plastic bread bags.

According to the Pet Poison Helpline, among the top  poisons are:

l.  Foods, especially chocolate, the sweetener zylitol, grapes and raisins, onions, alcohol,  and unbaked yeast dough.

2.  Insecticides, including sprays, bait stations, and some spot-on-flea and tick treatments.(Do NOT buy these over the counter…consult your veterinarian!)

3.  Rodenticides (mouse and rat poison)

4.   Human medications including:

* Nonsteroidal  anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) for humans, such as ibuprofen and naproxen

*Anti-depressant  such as Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, and Effexor

*Acetaminophens such as Tylenol and cold medications

*Amphetamines such as Adderall and Concerta, medications that are used to treat attention deficit disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

*Cardiac meds (e.g.  calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, etc.)

*Vitamins and minerals  (Vitamin D3, iron, etc.

*Caffeine pills

5.  Household cleaners  including MANY  sprays, detergents and polishes.

6.  Fertilizers, including bone meal, blood meal, and iron-based products, cocoa mulch.

7.  Veterinary prescribed meds, especially pain relievers such as COX-2 inhibitors like Rimadyl,  Dermaxx, and Previcox, can be toxic if not administered properly.

   (A description of items listed can be found on www.petpoisonhelpline.com )

The best thing a pet caregiver can do is get educated on common household toxins and pet-proof your home accordingly.  If you suspect your dog has ingested something questionable, consult your veterinarian or poison helpline immediately.  Accurate and timely identification of the suspected substance is important and may save the life of your pet.

Larsen can be contacted at Paw Prints, Box 373, Newell, Iowa 50568 or by e-mail at plarsen@rconnect.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s